Private sector is the future for Emiratis
Not only are people looking for jobs but companies are recruiting — so there are jobs, but they are all in the private sector
Click here to add Abu Dhabi Government as an alert
Disable alert for Abu Dhabi Government,
Click here to add Abu Dhabi University as an alert
Disable alert for Abu Dhabi University,
Click here to add Abu Dhabi University Knowledge Group as an alert
Disable alert for Abu Dhabi University Knowl ...,
Click here to add Al Khatheri as an alert
Disable alert for Al Khatheri,
Click here to add MSCI as an alert
Disable alert for MSCI,
Click here to add Omar Bamadhaf Al Khatheri as an alert
Disable alert for Omar Bamadhaf Al Khatheri
The unemployment rate among Emiratis is five times higher than among expatriates, although UAE nationals make up only 10 percent of the country’s population, an official said yesterday.
Omar Bamadhaf Al Khatheri, chief corporate support services officer in the Abu Dhabi Government, spoke about the unemployment challenges facing the UAE national population in his keynote address at the third annual Emiratisation forum hosted by the Abu Dhabi University Knowledge Group (ADUKG) at Abu Dhabi University.
“A report put out last month by Going Global says there are twice as many jobs as there are nationals in the UAE,” said Al Khatheri. “The challenge is that although Emiratis are only 10 percent of the population, their unemployment rate is five times higher than that of expatriates.”
He added this challenge is worsened by official figures that predict up to 20,000 people are annually set to join the UAE’s workforce over the next 10 years. Al Khatheri quoted 2008 statistics, which state 90 percent of the UAE’s workforce consists of expatriates and the remaining 10 percent is made up of Emiratis.
However, within the Emirati workforce, 2010 figures show unemployment rates at 13 percent and among 15- to 24-year-old Emiratis the unemployment rate is 23 percent. “Emirati unemployment started around 1995 and for the past 15 years it has been growing. And this challenge continues,” he said. “The population is increasing and this contributes to an increasing unemployment trend, which creates a complex situation.”
Al Khatheri added, however, that increased Emirati unemployment is not due to a lack of jobs — a point illustrated by the UAE’s recent upgrade to emerging market status by MSCI, which is a leading global provider of investment decision support tools.
“There is a big expansion in the oil and gas industry as well as in water and electricity, and other sectors,” he said. “Not only are people looking for jobs but companies are recruiting — so there are jobs, but they are all in the private sector.”
The problem lies in the fact that the private sector is unwilling to hire locals. According to a recent survey conducted by YouGovSiraj, nearly 70 percent of the private sector companies in the UAE are only willing to hire Emiratis if they accept certain conditions.
“The report shows 67 percent of the private sector will agree to support the Emiratisation programme only if nationals accept equal salaries, are as qualified as expatriates and are willing to work long hours,” Al Khatheri said. “And the list of âifs’ goes on and on.” Yet, he went on to say that “the future of the Emiratis is in the private sector”.
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- US, EU protectionist policies may be a blessing in disguise for GCC suppliers
- Dubai to Doha: How far can you stretch your dirham?
- Tunisia 2020 investment conference: 145 mega projects on offer
- GCC tax on expats' income and remittances would be highly regressive: IMF
- Busybody bosses: UAE fall in unemployment pinned on snooping managers
- Universities and private sector must collaborate to boost Emirati workforce
- Employer Forum engages with private sector companies to employ Emirati women in Al Ain
- Gallons of fizzy make Emiratis go pop!
- Saudi nationals dominate in only ten percent of private sector jobs