Tunis Stock Exchange falls amid riots
Tunis Stock Exchange dropped to a new low on Wednesday. At mid session, the Tunindex index was 2.54% down with 601,407 shares changing hands. 48 shares were in the red.
About noon the building sector was losing 4.30 while the financial service sector was down 3.79%. The banking sector dropped 2.03%. STAR share posted the largest decrease (6.09%) to hit DT173.400. The share of TUNISAIR, meanwhile, was the most active stock with a turnover of 179,289 shares. However, it decreased by 5.45%.
The drops in the Tunisian market are related to the deteriorating security situation and the unemployment riots. It should be mentioned that in 2010 for the eighth consecutive year, the market performance at the Tunis Stock Exchange was green. Tunindex finished the year up 19.13% at 5112.52 points against an increase of 48.38% in 2009. In late September, the index was higher by 38.32% at 5681.39 points, but since then it lost ground.
- Taming the monster: UAE regulator to tighten supervision of financial markets over Arabtec's debacle
- Banking in the time of Ramadan: reconciling contemplation with profit-making
- Attempting to go mainstream? how Islamic banks are ditching the 'Islam' label in order to go global
- How Sukuks are proving a viable financing option for Saudi Arabia
- To jump on the bandwagon or not to jump: all about owning a credit card in Egypt