25 Iranian workers arrested in demo over pay
Iranian police arrested 25 workers when clashes broke out during a demonstration against delays in payment of their wages at a factory in the central city of Isfahan, the official IRNA agency reported Monday, March 5.
They staged a protest outside the factory and then began marching towards the city center, according to a police statement quoted by IRNA.
"Since their rally was not authorized, the Law enforcement forces blocked the protestors' way and urged them to disperse but some of them did not heed police warnings and instead pelted stones and iron bars at the police," it said. Riot police then broke up the demonstration and made 25 arrests, it added. — (AFP, Tehran)
© Agence France Presse 2001
© 2001 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Cypriot grape growers scuffle with police at presidential palace
- Iranian-American man gets 25 years in prison over Saudi ambassador assassination plot
- Omani Police Arrest 106 Illegal Immigrants
- Oman arrests another 106 illegal immigrants
- Good luck without them: Kuwait to launch largest 'expat crackdown' operation ever