370 Free to Air Sat TV channels in the Arab World
The Arab World's FTA Sat TV channels have grown by a massive 270% between August 2007 and January 2004. By mid August 2007, the total number of FTA satellite channels reached 370 on Arabsat, Nilesat and new entrant Noorsat.
Arab Advisors Group research revealed that the highest number of channel types were the Private sector general channels at 56, followed by Music channels which totaled 54 and government-owned general channels which totaled 38.
A new report, "Satellite TV in the Arab World 2007" was released to the Arab Advisors Group's Media Strategic Research Service subscribers on September 26, 2006. The 64-pages report, which has 20 detailed exhibits, provides a detailed analysis of the FTA satellite channels targeting the Arab region as of Mid August 2006. The channels are analyzed according to their type and content, broadcasting language, main offices, ownership (state owned or private) and satellite carriers. In addition, the satellite systems included in the analysis are Arabsat, Nilesat and Noorsat. This is because the trend is for any FTA satellite channel targeting the Arab World is to broadcast on Nilesat and/or Arabsat. Recently, Noorsat joined the fray based on leased capacity from Euelsat's satellites.
- Free to Air Satellite TV channels in the Arab World reach 474. 18.5% of these channels' headquarters are located in Saudi Arabia
- Arab World music channels scramble for the potential revenues pie
- The Arab World’s SAT TV boom continues
- Arab World: Governments still dominate Terrestrial TV landscape
- Governments still dominate Terrestrial TV landscape in Arab World