Smell the dinosaur! UAE cinemas to show 4D movies.
4D movies add further depth to the movie experience. (Image credit: Shutterstock)
Get ready for a movie experience that goes beyond sight and sound. Coming soon to a theatre near you is a 4D cinema which lets you feel the action as it happens on screen according to an article in Gulf News.
For instance, if you are watching a sci-fi movie and a giant asteroid crashes into the Earth, your seat will heave back and forth simulating the effect of an earthquake. If there’s an explosion, the air will reek of smoke and gunpowder. Other special effects include strobe lights, fog, wind and spray blasts, leg ticklers and back pokers, all synchronized with on-screen action.
While the gaming areas of certain malls have been offering 4D simulations since 2009, the multi-sensory experience has been limited to a mere five-minute video clip. But with the launch of 4D cinemas, it will the first time in the UAE that the senses of the audience would be engaged throughout the movie. “This will be unlike anything cinema-goers here would have experienced before,” said an industry expert. “Theatres are looking for new ways to bring people back to the multiplex and a 4D cinema is the most logical step in this direction,” he said.
The locations of the 4D cinema has been kept under wraps but it is believed that they will be launched in two malls by this year end.
In the US, where 4D cinema has had a moderate success, the extra movie engagement costs around $10 (About Dh37).
4D films are not four dimensional in the geometric sense of the word, but a marketing term to describe an entertainment presentation system combining a 3D film with physical effects that occur in the theatre in synchronization with the movie.
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- The downturn's forgotten victim: Rouhani aims to revive Iran's movie industry
- Feel & smell the action: 4D cinemas on the way to Dubai theatres
- First Kuwaiti horror movie coming soon to a scary cinema near you
- 4D makes a splash in Dubai cinemas
- digiphoto to conduct photography workshops for children during dubai summer surprises 2007