ABB wins $20 million order for power factor correction project in Saudi Arabia
ABB, the leading power and automation technology group, has won a $20 million contract from Saudi Petrochemical Company (Sadaf) to implement a power factor correction and power management solution at the company’s Jubail manufacturing complex. ABB’s solution will help Sadaf improve its network efficiency and, accordingly, significantly reduce the electricity losses while improving the stability of its power supply.
Owned jointly by Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (Sabic) and Shell Chemicals Arabia LLC Sadaf was established in 1980 and began commercial operation in 1986. The company operates from one of the world's largest and most competitive petrochemical complexes in Al Jubail industrial zone on Saudi Arabia's eastern coast. Sadaf's six, world-scale manufacturing plants produce over 4.7 million metric tons of basic petrochemicals a year, primarily sold to customers in Asia Pacific.
“Petrochemical facilities are very energy intensive and any variation in power factor will result in higher losses and reduced transmission capacity,” said Veli-Matti Reinikkala, head of ABB’s Process Automation division. “By providing reliable power factor correction solutions and infrastructure, we are helping our customers such as Sadaf to optimize the productivity and efficiency of their operations as well as realize significant cost savings.”
ABB’s contract is a lump sum turnkey project which includes the construction of a new substation for installation of power factor correction equipment, the supply of a power management solution to be integrated along with existing high and medium voltage electrical system into the plant’s electrical grid, as well as the installation and commissioning activities. The power factor correction solution will consist of nine banks of correction equipment totaling 109,8 MVAR.
- Warmer winter, warmer state-society relationship? Jordanians brace themselves for 'substantially' lower fuel prices
- One's catastrophe, another's celebration: Middle East's oil importing states benefiting lower oil prices
- Reading the signs behind plummeting oil prices: Saudi-led price war or simple supply and demand?
- Wishful thinking: is Saudi Arabia slowly, but maturely, winning the global oil price war against the US?
- It came much, much sooner than expected: a new era of oil abundance might just be in the making
- Siemens wins $145 million Saudi gas turbine power plant contract
- ABB wins $38 million order to improve power efficiency in Saudi Arabia
- Sadaf seeks financing for $400 million debt
- ABB wins $108 million substation order in Saudi Arabia
- CMS Energy completes financing for first Saudi independent power plant