Abu Dhabi launches second economy airline
The Emirate of Abu Dhabi will be the launch spot of a new all-economy airline with flights scheduled to take off on November 5, 2003.
The new carrier, called Etihad, has a paid up capital of $136 million and is supported by the Abu Dhabi government, reported Gulf News. The airline’s fleet comprises of two leased Airbus A330-200 aircraft and plans to make Al-Ain, United Arab Emirates (UAE) its first destination on Wednesday.
Abu Dhabi is already equipped with an international charter aircraft service. Royal Jet started operations in May 2003 and is a 100 percent United Arab Emirates (UAE) owned private charter aircraft company. In addition, the Emirate of Sharjah launched its own Air Arabia no frills airline this week. — (menareport.com)
© 2003 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Launch of Amsterdam flights marks start of second phase in Etihad Airways – KLM strategic partnership
- French family from abu dhabi wins gulf air's Second "million miles"
- Gulf Air launches new all-economy airline
- Etihad Airways’ daily Abu Dhabi – Los Angeles service takes flight
- Abu Dhabi Airports Company welcomes Ukraine International Airlines to Abu Dhabi International Airport