Activities of Dubai Shopping Festival 2006 cancelled
Organizers of one of Dubai‘s main tourist attractions, the Dubai Shopping Festival 2006, announced on Wednesday that all festivities related to the one-month event would be canceled. DSF was planned to start on Wednesday.
The cancellation was declared following the news about the death of Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai. The festival’s website, mydsf.ae, has been taken down until further notice.
The entertainment and shopping bonanza event, with activities taking place around the city during the 32-day fiesta, has evolved into one of the favourite haunts for visitors. In fact, one of the biggest beneficiaries of the event is the tourism sector. Hotels, travel agents and tour operators contribute to the selling of the event worldwide. The festival annually draws some 3 million people to Dubai to shop.
One of DSF's main attraction was to be the Night Souq down Al Seef Street. Since 2003 the night market offers visitors various goods from fashion accessories, garments, shoes and electronics to stationery, jewellery, textiles and watches at cost or wholesale prices.
- Fayrouz cancels performance at the Dubai Shopping Festival
- Festival Waterfront Centre – a brand new shopping, dining and entertainment resort opening soon at Dubai Festival City
- Dubai Properties Group Hosts Diverse Selection of Events and Activities at The Walk at Jumeirah Beach Residence To Celebrate Dubai Shopping Festival
- Dubai braces for take-off of annual shopping bonanza
- DAMAC announces largest ever promotion worth over US$ 23.7 million for the Dubai Shopping Festival 2006