Apple takes a chunk out of PC sales
Piper Jaffray analysts Gene Munster and Douglas J. Clinton think that in the long run any cannibalising of Mac sales by iPads will pay off because by 2020 the market share of tablets will be great than PCs, and the iPad will have the biggest share.
The analysts predict that by 2015, total tablet sales will have reached 301 million units, and of those, 176 million will be iPads. In contrast, by 2015 the PC market will have reached 484 million units. And by, 2020 tablets could take over sales of all PCs.
“Thus, the gap will be significantly closed between tablet and PC unit sales by 2015. We believe tablets could overtake sales of notebooks by 2015 and total PCs well before 2020,” states the Piper Jaffray report.
The analysts said: “We believe Apple maintaining its majority (60 percent plus) market share in the ultimately larger tablet market is more important than meaningfully increasing single-digit market share in the PC space,” despite the price of Macs being two and a half times higher, wrote the analysts, according to a eWeek report.
- New one-stop Smart App Store highly-rated by UAE residents
- GCC to pioneer safe and secure online shopping
- Too much for Big Brother to handle? Will the UAE ban Whatsapp after it turns into a calling app as well?
- Smart Dubai strategic plan launched
- For the first time official data reveals the Middle East's facebook and twitter trends, expect the unexpected!
- UAE Tablet market to grow 16% in 2014; iOS not the big winner
- Samsung captures 21 percent market share in UAE’s mobile phone market
- Not everything sells in UAE: poor profits for this IT item may make sales obsolete in near future
- Regional laptop tablets market expected to post 15 percent rise per year
- Finally! Feature phones and blackberries overtaken by rivals for the first time