A bad harvest at Apple
Forstall has played an important role as senior vice president of iOS software and has been a high-profile figure at the company, often sharing the stage with the late CEO Steve Jobs and other executives at mobile product launches. Prior to his departure next year, he will serve as an adviser to CEO Tim Cook.
Craig Federighi, Senior Vice President of Mac Software Engineering, will now lead both iOS and OS X development. Apple said the change would “make it easier to deliver the best technology and user experience innovations to both platforms.”
In retail, the search for a new chief is now under way, Apple said.
Forstall’s and Browett’s departures were announced as part of a broader reshuffling at the highest levels of Apple management. The company said the changes would encourage more collaboration among its hardware, software and services teams.
In addition to Federighi, three other top executives are taking on more responsibilities.
Design guru Jony Ive will lead human interface design across the whole company while remaining head of industrial design. Eddy Cue, senior vice president of Internet Software and Services, will add responsibility for Apple’s Maps and its Siri voice interface system.
Bob Mansfield, the longtime manufacturing chief who announced his retirement in June but decided in August not to retire after all, will lead a new group called Technologies. His group will bring together all of Apple’s wireless teams as well as its semiconductor teams.
- Samsung Electronics Levant holds the prescreening for Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Samsung S6, S6 Edge receive warm welcome in Saudi Arabia
- Mission to Mars: UAE plans Arab region's first unmanned probe
- Eclipsing Facebook and Twitter: WhatsApp most popular social media site for Arabs
- More technology, less fashion: Why fashionistas haven't exactly fallen for Apple's smartwatch
- Revolutionary or merely impressive? Here comes the official verdict on the Iphone 6
- Eid came early? iPhone 6 makes it to Dubai, sells out on first day
- US Dollar Falls to Multi-Decade Low Against Aussie, Sparked by Inflationary Fears
- True romance: Wills and Kate join a tradition of love that includes Jordan's Rania and Abdullah