Why are Arabs obsessed with burgers and Kim Kardashian?
Therefore, there is a need to establish a wide network of public relations and marketing, and to activate all our cultural riches, artistic talents, media outlets, and all our other resources to save our reputation, religion and culture from defamation.
I wonder why foods such as hamburgers are so popular among Arabs, when Arab dishes have not become famous in the West. The same applies to Kim Kardashian, who has become the most loved celebrity in the Arab world, while Haifa Wehbe is not well known in the West. The issue is not how good burgers taste, but how well they are marketed to Arab households, making them as much a part of our lives as electronic games and amusement parks.
While the West has invaded us with sandwiches, neither the Arabs nor the Muslims have succeeded in countering this. However, the bigger mistake is that we have failed to introduce Arabic calligraphy, or Arab and Muslim history, to the West.
The unforgivable sin, and the biggest source of sorrow, is that Muslims who openly express their love of American products have failed to explain the teachings of Islam to those who consider it a synonym for terror, and the religion of those who blow themselves up without reason. This has resulted in Western portrayals of Islam as a religion of violence, and of Muslims as terrorists in the making.
The bigger mistake is that we have failed to introduce Arabic calligraphy, or Arab and Muslim history, to the West.
There is nothing wrong in learning from the experiences of others, even from our enemies. However, it is shameful to be invaded by a piece of meat between bread, when we cannot put our own house in order despite our wealth and capabilities.
The American who does not speak Arabic has astonished the Arab with modern civilization, while the Arab who speaks fluent English with an American accent cannot make the American understand that Islam does not call for slaughtering people or advocate “honor crimes,” or that Palestine is occupied.
Therefore, there is a need to establish a wide network of public relations and marketing, and to activate all our cultural riches, artistic talents, media outlets, and all our other resources to save our reputation, religion and culture from defamation. Maybe then Westerners will know that we were the masters of astrology many centuries ago.
By: Mohammed Abu Obeid
- So cool it's hot: Saudi Arabia's $3.2B HVACR market driven by construction boom
- Oman sees steady upswing in fishing industry
- Breathe easier with LG Saudi Arabia’s new indoor ventilation system
- Careem offers discounts to riders headed to the gym!
- Widespread apple crop failure raises agricultural concerns in Lebanon
- Haifa Wehbe to the savage critics of her "Breathing You In" music vid: "You're #Vulgar"!
- Let ME entertain you! 10 celeb scandals that made our Arab Babas Blush in 2014
- HuffPost is speaking your language: News site launches Arabic platform
- Raya Abirached gives the scoop on celebrity livin' and the upcoming Oscars
- Westerners - obsessed by the headscarf?