Is China about to overtake the US as the world's largest economy?
China is expected to overtake the United States in 2028 to become the world’s largest economy, according to a research report.
The London-based Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) said in its annual report 2013 that China’s gross domestic product (GDP) in US dollars would overtake the United States in 2028.
“This is later than some analysts have suggested and reflects the continuing performance of the US as the West’s strongest economy and the slowing down of the Chinese economy,” China news agency, Xinhua, said, citing the report.
Based on CEBR’s forecasts, India will overtake Japan in 2028 to become the world’s third largest economy. “Japan is likely to follow a weak currency policy for the foreseeable future which means that its GDP in dollar terms gets overtaken by India earlier than we had previously expected,” it said.
Brazil overtook the UK in 2011 to become the world’s 6th largest economy. But CEBR said that the country had since fallen back but would overtake both the UK and Germany to become the world’s fifth largest economy in 2023.
“In 2014, while the Football World Cup is held in Brazil, it still looks likely that Britain will have a larger economy than Brazil,” it said. The annual report issued by the CEBR, a leading economic consultancy in Britain, covers the 30 largest economies in the world.
- Just BS? Why Israel's anti-BDS law can't really stop BDS internationally
- Malnourished economy: global hunger leading to $2 trillion loss in world GDP
- Going green: UAE looks to save Dh6.98b a year by 2030 with renewable energy
- Diversify and dump the slump in the GCC
- Supervising the stoners: Egyptian tobacco traders call for the legalization of cannabis
- Oil prices crash as global economy takes another battering
- With four new mega trends in 2014, are we about to witness a new world energy order?
- SABIC FURTHER STRENGTHENS LEADERSHIP IN CHINA, WORLD’S FASTEST GROWING POLYMERS MARKET SABIC IS LARGEST EXHIBITOR AT CHINAPLAS 2008 TRADE SHOW
- GCC is 13th largest world economy - Bahraini Minister