Contract awarded for second phase of Ras Al Khaima Port
A major infrastructure upgrade to Ras Al Khaima Port is on track with the recent awarding of the second phase contract for developing the port as a world class facility to the Anthena Company. Gibb Ltd Abu Dhabi serves as the official consultant of the over Dh100 million program.
The Dh28 million second phase, construction of which has started, will add another 400 meters of jetty, expanding the length of berths from the original 160 meters to 860 meters, according to Khaleej Times.
Last week the Dh30 million first phase was commissioned to provide a second 303 meter berth with a draft of eight meters. The second berth has been commissioned by berthing M/V Windsor Star.
In addition, port has awarded a Dh50 million contract for Phase II –B construction of 16 Warehouses including two cold storages and accommodation block for port employees.
Capacity of the RAK Port, the second port in the emirate, will be expanded fivefold under the new program. The second phase of the project is due for completion by June 2007.
"The capacity boost is in line with the all round vibrant growth and modernisation the emirate is currently witnessing under the dynamic leadership of Shaikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Crown Prince and Deputy Ruler of Ras Al Khaima," explained Mohammed A. Al Mehrizi, Director of Ras Al Khaimah Customs and Port.
"Our geographical position makes it an ideal port for all types of cargo operations. In addition to other products, we expect to handle 800,000 tons of gypsum and export 100,000 tons of cement. As a gateway to the Gulf, RAK Port has the potential to emerge as one of the best ports in the region under the port chairman Shaikh Ahmed bin Saqr Al Qasimi," he added.
© 2006 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Emaar.E.C awards SR390 million contract to Freyssinet Saudi Arabia for second phase of Business Park in King Abdullah Economic City
- Rakeen to commence Phase Two of infrastructure work on Al Marjan Island in August 2009
- Lloyds TSB Dubai Offers Mortgages at Al Hamra Village and Royal Breeze Ras Al Khaimah
- Casamia Star Handles Projects worth 400 Million AED for Best Eastern
- dubal presents educational awards to students at ceremony attended by h e ali mehad al suwaidi, consultant to ministry of education