DPA general cargo figures for 2003 indicate continuing growth in domestic market
Dubai Ports Authority (DPA) is expecting record growth in terms of both container handling and General Cargo this year, Managing Director of DPA Jamal Majid Bin Thaniah has announced.
Container handling figures at DPA recorded a total of 2,406 million twenty-foot equivalent units (TEU) from January to June 2003, compared to 1.936 million TEUs in the same period last year.
General Cargo also continues to play an important role. Figures for the period January to July 2003 show that DPA General Cargo has handled 2.526 million metric tons (MT) of Break-Bulk cargo. Within one decade, DPA has seen general cargo handling grow from a total of 2.221 millionMT in 1992 to 4.190 million MT in 2002.
Timber, steel, minerals, foodstuff and project cargo, along with specialized cargoes such as frozen and chilled foodstuffs and various construction materials are the principal commodities handled. DPA has also handled 141,304 car units in the period January to July 2003. — (menareport.com)
© 2003 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Dubai Ports Authority: 6.25 million tons of general cargo handled
- Dubai Ports Authority reports 24% increase in cargo handling
- Dnata Cargo’s throughput up 23 percent
- DPA records 26 per cent increase in containers handled during the first quarter of 2005
- DPA reports 22 per cent growth in container traffic in the first half of 2005 compared to the same period last year