Dreamliner cleared for take-off
Boeing's 787 Dreamliner has re-entered commercial operations, to the relief of airlines across the MENA region
Click here to add Addis Ababa as an alert
Disable alert for Addis Ababa,
Click here to add BBC as an alert
Disable alert for BBC,
Click here to add Boeing as an alert
Disable alert for Boeing,
Click here to add Ethiopian Airlines as an alert
Disable alert for Ethiopian Airlines,
Click here to add Federal Aviation Administration as an alert
Disable alert for Federal Aviation Administr ...,
Click here to add Nairobi as an alert
Disable alert for Nairobi
There are 50 787 Dreamliners in service, but they have all been grounded since mid-January after two fires associated with the plane's lithium-ion batteries.
The Federal Aviation Administration Thursday authorized renewed flights based on Boeing's retrofit of the battery system, which includes containing the batteries in a steel box, using a ventilation system to control fumes or smoke, and using a different style of lithium-ion battery that runs at a cooler temperature.
The batteries are not used in flight. They are used for lights and braking when the plane is on the ground, the BBC said.
The return to commercial flight took place with an Ethiopian Airlines hop from the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa to Nairobi, Kenya, a 2-hour flight that landed without incident.
- So cool it's hot: Saudi Arabia's $3.2B HVACR market driven by construction boom
- US, EU protectionist policies may be a blessing in disguise for GCC suppliers
- Dubai to Doha: How far can you stretch your dirham?
- OPEC's poor history of compliance will make production cut deal a challenge
- Jordan raises $400M for first phase of Red-Dead project
- Qatar Airways Dreamliner back in the sky
- Boeing 787 Dreamliner completes flight testing for type certification
- Middle East's airlines cautious over Dreamliner
- Backing out? Etihad 'not interested' in buying anymore Airbus A380 aircrafts
- Etihad Airways welcomes first Boeing 787-9 flight into Washington, D.C. from Abu Dhabi