Dubai: Development boom in Al Sufouh area leads to first tram system
Dubai intends to introduce its first tram system to provide public transport options to residents and visitors of big residential, commercial and tourism projects, an official at Dubai Municipality said.
The tram system will be part of the new road network project planned for the booming Al Sufouh area, which is the hub of big residential, commercial and tourism projects such as Dubai Marina, Jumeirah Beach Residences, Media City, Internet City, the Knowledge Village and a number of luxury hotels and resorts.
According to Gulf News, the area will also have a dedicated public bus service to control traffic congestion in this fast developing part of the city, which is expected to have a population of about 400,000.
An 11km-long track to carry trams on Al Sufouh Road will be run between Madinat Al Jumeriah and Dubai Marina.
The tram system will be linked with Dubai Metro network stations on Shaikh Zayed Road.
According to the municipality study, some 110,000 people are expected to reside in Dubai Marina and Jumeirah Beach Residences, about 42,000 people in Dubai Media City and Knowledge Village areas and about 150,000 will live in Jumeirah Lake Towers area. About 100,000 people are expected to come to work in the area, which also includes Dubai Media City, Internet City and Knowledge Village.
- RTA announces completion of Jumeirah Palm Island Road Corridor and Access Project
- Here comes the tram! Dubai to operate first tramway line ever on Sunday
- More reasons to 'celebrate': Dubai's new tramway to raise property prices further
- Official: Infrastructure struggling to keep up with Dubai growth
- Dubai announces two more massive road projects