Dubai's economy booming
Dubai's economy is booming
Click here to add Arif Obaid al-Muhairi as an alert
Disable alert for Arif Obaid al-Muhairi,
Click here to add Dubai as an alert
Disable alert for Dubai,
Click here to add Dubai Government as an alert
Disable alert for Dubai Government,
Click here to add Reuters as an alert
Disable alert for Reuters
Dubai's economy expanded 4.1 per cent in the first half of this year compared with year ago levels
"These indicators are moving towards growth because of the diversity of Dubai's tourism product," Arif Obaid al-Muhairi, Executive Director at the Dubai Statistics Center, said in a statement cited by Reuters. "That helps attract more tourists, which reflects positively on demand in related activities and improves performance of the local economy."
Official data cited by Reuters showed that foreign trade, including re-exports, rose 11.4 per cent.
Wholesale and retail businesses, which make up nearly a third of Dubai's GDP, grew 3.8 per cent in H1 2012; the real estate and business services sector rose 1.5 per cent, according to Reuters calculations.
Muhairi is quoted as saying that the Dubai Government's latest plans for huge tourism and retail developments would help boost tourist numbers and contribute to economic growth.
- Nip, tuck: Dubai's grand plans for being a major player in medical tourism
- Zain, UNHCR, Facebook to bring free internet access to urban refugees in Jordan
- Yemen Central Bank headquarters to relocate from Sanaa to Aden
- IMF report details the crippling economic effects of conflict in MENA
- Start Up Lebanon entrepreneurs head to Silicon Valley Roadshow