Dubai's economy booming
Dubai's economy expanded 4.1 per cent in the first half of this year compared with year ago levels
"These indicators are moving towards growth because of the diversity of Dubai's tourism product," Arif Obaid al-Muhairi, Executive Director at the Dubai Statistics Center, said in a statement cited by Reuters. "That helps attract more tourists, which reflects positively on demand in related activities and improves performance of the local economy."
Official data cited by Reuters showed that foreign trade, including re-exports, rose 11.4 per cent.
Wholesale and retail businesses, which make up nearly a third of Dubai's GDP, grew 3.8 per cent in H1 2012; the real estate and business services sector rose 1.5 per cent, according to Reuters calculations.
Muhairi is quoted as saying that the Dubai Government's latest plans for huge tourism and retail developments would help boost tourist numbers and contribute to economic growth.
- Saudi SMEs v overseas enterprises. Who is the winner?
- Why does inflation continue to rise in the UAE?
- With Sisi likely to take over, how will Egypt's 'military economy' look like?
- Will future talks between the IMF and Egypt help the country's economy?
- Is Iran's economy already thriving amidst limited sanctions relief? Apparently so!