Dubai's economy booming
Dubai's economy is booming
Click here to add Arif Obaid al-Muhairi as an alert
Disable alert for Arif Obaid al-Muhairi,
Click here to add Dubai as an alert
Disable alert for Dubai,
Click here to add Dubai Government as an alert
Disable alert for Dubai Government,
Click here to add Reuters as an alert
Disable alert for Reuters
Dubai's economy expanded 4.1 per cent in the first half of this year compared with year ago levels
"These indicators are moving towards growth because of the diversity of Dubai's tourism product," Arif Obaid al-Muhairi, Executive Director at the Dubai Statistics Center, said in a statement cited by Reuters. "That helps attract more tourists, which reflects positively on demand in related activities and improves performance of the local economy."
Official data cited by Reuters showed that foreign trade, including re-exports, rose 11.4 per cent.
Wholesale and retail businesses, which make up nearly a third of Dubai's GDP, grew 3.8 per cent in H1 2012; the real estate and business services sector rose 1.5 per cent, according to Reuters calculations.
Muhairi is quoted as saying that the Dubai Government's latest plans for huge tourism and retail developments would help boost tourist numbers and contribute to economic growth.
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?