Dubai makes $350 million off the environment
Dubai: Dubai Electricity and Water Authority’s conservation initiative saved Dh16 million in electricity and water, it was announced at the eighth Conservation Award for the educational sector.
Along with Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (Dewa), the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) jointly honoured the efforts of individuals and institutions in the educational sector for reducing their water and electricity use at the award ceremony held under the theme âFor a Better Tomorrow.’
“The initiative encouraged students and faculty members to save eight per cent in electricity usage and 27 per cent in water consumption. The consumer category encouraged residents to save 28 per cent of electricity and 33 per cent of water used,” said Saeed Mohammad Al Tayer, managing director and CEO of Dewa.
Pointing out that energy and water conservation plays a key role in minimising carbon emissions, Al Tayer said the drive helped save a total of 21 million Kw of electricity, 144 million gallons of water, and 10,000 tonnes of carbon emissions in all categories.
The Conservation Award, which was launched in 2005 for the education sector, monitors and measures the results achieved by the universities, schools, and nurseries, and encourages students to integrate water and electricity conservation into their daily lives.
The awards were given to 19 educational institutions, 19 coordinators representing winning institutions, six best conservation teams and team coordinators from the academic level and five nominated facility-management workers. Four best nominated parents from the winning institutions along with three residential consumers were also awarded at the ceremony.
- Tourism is the real target of the Tunisia attacks: industry set to suffer
- FIFA scandal probe: No deaths in 2022 World Cup construction, Qatar says
- The UAE harnesses the power of celebrity endorsements
- Gazans reach beyond Israeli blockade through start-up
- France is playing a risky dating game in the Gulf: experts
- Dubai Electricity and Water Authority’s Conservation Team Honored By Saeed Al Tayer
- Energy-conscious DUBAL minimizes power consumption
- Right up Dubai's street: Internet sensation Boyce Avenue ready to rock the UAE
- DEWA Honours Water & Energy Saving Efforts of Local Schools
- DEWA rolls out 8th Conservation Award for educational sector