Not the Expo, but still a recognition: Dubai featured in TripAdvisor top 25 places to visit list 2014
The entry highlighted 646 activities to try in Dubai including the Dubai Fountain, the Creek and the Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding, Dubai’s Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing’s (DTCM) said in a statement.
The TripAdvisor Awards are based on the reviews and opinions from travellers and winners were determined using an algorithm that considered the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, attractions and restaurants in destinations worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.
Issam Kazim, CEO of the recently created Dubai Corporation for Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DCTCM) said: “2013 was a successful year for the emirate which saw further hotel and attraction openings, new events and milestones such as the announcement of our Vision for Tourism 2020 and the winning Expo 2020 bid.
“This year we’ve already seen the launch of the Dubai Food Festival, a range of world-class events in music, culture and sport and more hospitality openings.”
Dubai has been keen to promote itself internationally and in January this year, launched DCTCM to focus on the overseas marketing of brand Dubai.
The emirate, which welcomed over 10 million tourists in 2013, has an ambitious plan to attract 20 million visitors per year by 2020. Visitor numbers are also expected to be substantially higher during the six-month long Expo, which will be held in Dubai in 2020.
To boost tourism inflows, the city is also ramping up air connections, hotel facilities, and entertainment options. Late last week, US-based theme park operator Six Flags announced that it would be build a new branded theme park in Dubai in partnership with Meraas. The project, located in Jebel Ali, is expected to begin operations in late 2017.
By Aarti Nagraj
- Tourism is the real target of the Tunisia attacks: industry set to suffer
- FIFA scandal probe: No deaths in 2022 World Cup construction, Qatar says
- The UAE harnesses the power of celebrity endorsements
- Gazans reach beyond Israeli blockade through start-up
- France is playing a risky dating game in the Gulf: experts
- What else? Dubai ranks first globally for shopping, hotel experience
- The list of the top ten highest salaries in the UAE reveals that they are not as high as they once were
- EUROPE STILL TOPS WITH UAE TRAVELLERS BUT US WINS BACK MORE VISITORS
- Ten reasons Irbil is the place to be
- Nancy Ajram the highlight of Dubai Shopping Festival '14