Not the Expo, but still a recognition: Dubai featured in TripAdvisor top 25 places to visit list 2014
Dubai welcomed over 10 million tourists in 2013 (File/AFP)
The entry highlighted 646 activities to try in Dubai including the Dubai Fountain, the Creek and the Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding, Dubai’s Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing’s (DTCM) said in a statement.
The TripAdvisor Awards are based on the reviews and opinions from travellers and winners were determined using an algorithm that considered the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, attractions and restaurants in destinations worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.
Issam Kazim, CEO of the recently created Dubai Corporation for Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DCTCM) said: “2013 was a successful year for the emirate which saw further hotel and attraction openings, new events and milestones such as the announcement of our Vision for Tourism 2020 and the winning Expo 2020 bid.
“This year we’ve already seen the launch of the Dubai Food Festival, a range of world-class events in music, culture and sport and more hospitality openings.”
Dubai has been keen to promote itself internationally and in January this year, launched DCTCM to focus on the overseas marketing of brand Dubai.
The emirate, which welcomed over 10 million tourists in 2013, has an ambitious plan to attract 20 million visitors per year by 2020. Visitor numbers are also expected to be substantially higher during the six-month long Expo, which will be held in Dubai in 2020.
To boost tourism inflows, the city is also ramping up air connections, hotel facilities, and entertainment options. Late last week, US-based theme park operator Six Flags announced that it would be build a new branded theme park in Dubai in partnership with Meraas. The project, located in Jebel Ali, is expected to begin operations in late 2017.
By Aarti Nagraj
© Motivate Publishing. All rights reserved.
- Nip, tuck: Dubai's grand plans for being a major player in medical tourism
- Zain, UNHCR, Facebook to bring free internet access to urban refugees in Jordan
- Yemen Central Bank headquarters to relocate from Sanaa to Aden
- IMF report details the crippling economic effects of conflict in MENA
- Start Up Lebanon entrepreneurs head to Silicon Valley Roadshow
- What else? Dubai ranks first globally for shopping, hotel experience
- The list of the top ten highest salaries in the UAE reveals that they are not as high as they once were
- EUROPE STILL TOPS WITH UAE TRAVELLERS BUT US WINS BACK MORE VISITORS
- Ten reasons Irbil is the place to be
- Entries still open for Lexus Design Award 2017