UAE: World's largest man-made safari park opens in Al Ain
Once the Al Ain Wildlife Park and Resort project is completed, it will include an expansion of the safari, an elephant sanctuary, an Arab safari, and an Asian safari. (Pixabay)
Click here to add Abu Dhabi as an alert
Disable alert for Abu Dhabi,
Click here to add Ghanem Al Hajeri as an alert
Disable alert for Ghanem Al Hajeri,
Click here to add Lee Ehmke as an alert
Disable alert for Lee Ehmke,
Click here to add Mariam M Al Serkal as an alert
Disable alert for Mariam M Al Serkal,
Click here to add Nissan as an alert
Disable alert for Nissan,
Click here to add Shaikh Zayed Desert Learning Centre as an alert
Disable alert for Shaikh Zayed Desert Learni ...,
Click here to add World Association of Zoos and Aquariums as an alert
Disable alert for World Association of Zoos ...
The world’s largest man-made safari park is now open in Al Ain.
The safari park at Al Ain Zoo opened its doors to the public on Wednesday morning, providing visitors access to 217 hectares of open space that houses more than 250 animals in their natural habitat, including the Arabian oryx and sand cat.
This unique experience is an addition to Al Ain Zoo, which was described by the president of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums, Lee Ehmke, as “a model for not just zoos in the Middle East, but around the world,” according to the Emirates News Agency WAM.
What’s in store?
Residents can now sit back and enjoy a scenic and educational tour of the Al Ain Wildlife Park and Resort, as you view animals without cages or restrictions. Officials at the zoo confirmed that tours are available at a cost of Dh200 for a 45-minute drive inside a 22-seater truck, while a private hire for a six-seater 4x4 Nissan Patrol, at a cost of Dh1,000 for one hour and a half.
The Shaikh Zayed Desert Learning Centre was also opened on Wednesday, which teaches visitors about the natural and cultural history of Abu Dhabi’s desert environment, as well as Arabian deserts and those worldwide.
In a statement issued earlier, Al Ain Zoo director-general Ghanem Al Hajeri said the centre, which spans 12,500 square metres, “provides a comprehensive description of the desert environment of Abu Dhabi, as well as the tradition and efforts to preserve the environment and sustainability agenda. The centre has been awarded an international certificate in the sustainability field.”
Once the Al Ain Wildlife Park and Resort project is completed, it will include an expansion of the safari, an elephant sanctuary, an Arab safari, and an Asian safari – making it the largest man-made safari in the world.
The Shaikh Zayed Desert Learning Centre is open
Saturday to Wednesday: 9.30am to 4.30pm
Thursday and Friday: 9.30am to 6pm
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- World's largest manmade water fall and rain dance pool beckons as Ice Land Water Park opens in Ras Al Khaimah
- Protection for the world’s largest man-made waterfall
- World’s largest man-made port welcomes world’s largest container ship
- Three giant bridges to service the world’s largest man-made island
- The Al Ain Wildlife Park & Resort preview $ 1 billion development at the TDIM event