It's shopping time! H1 sales jump by 11.5 per cent in Abu Dhabi's Duty Free
Over two million transactions were recorded in H1, a 12.8 per cent rise from 2013 (File)
Abu Dhabi Duty Free sales grew 11.5 per cent in the first six months of the year to Dh487.9 million ($133 million) as the passenger traffic shows strong growth.
The total number of transactions in the period was just over two million, 12.8 per cent higher than the first half of 2013.
A number of new retail outlets opened in the first half of 2014, including two new multi category Duty Free stores in the newly opened Terminal 3 Bus gate facility and Pier, refurbished UAE Souvenir stores in both Terminals 1 & 3, and the introduction of a new ‘Fragrances of the World’ store in Terminal 1.
During this period WHSmith also opened their second store at Abu Dhabi International Airport. Terminal 3 also added to its extensive food and beverages offerings in its T3 pier with international brands such as Lavatazza, Cinnabon, Flat White, Grab and Fly and Urban Food Market, illy Espressamente.
Abu Dhabi Duty Free’s popular Big Ticket opened additional locations around the airport, and during the first six months gave away more than Dh18 million in cash and prizes along the way creating 4 x Dh multi-millionaires and 2 x $ millionaires.
Abu Dhabi Airports’ chief commercial officer Mohammed Al Bulooki said: “The continuing improvements and additions of new retail outlets at Abu Dhabi International Airport are clearly making their mark on the company’s commercial revenues.”
During the period, Abu Dhabi Airports formally commenced the tender process for retail and F&B concessions at the Midfield Terminal Building, which is making rapid progress and will have an annual capacity of 30 million when it opens in 2017.
Most of the world’s leading brands are expected to submit bids, and they have been encouraged to make their proposals as innovative and spectacular as possible, supporting the company’s ambition to offer passengers an experience that is second to none.
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- So cool it's hot: Saudi Arabia's $3.2B HVACR market driven by construction boom
- US, EU protectionist policies may be a blessing in disguise for GCC suppliers
- Dubai to Doha: How far can you stretch your dirham?
- OPEC's poor history of compliance will make production cut deal a challenge
- over 33% growth in h1 for abu dhabi duty free
- Passenger growth up 38.6% at Abu Dhabi Airport in H1 2008
- Record Commercial Sales for Abu Dhabi Airports in H1 2015
- Abu Dhabi Airport’s Duty Free crosses AED500m revenue mark, a 12.7% increase for 2009
- Duty Free Revenue continues to outpace passenger growth at Abu Dhabi International Airport