ECC hosts the regional internet exchange point
The Egyptian Ministry of Communication and Information Technology has launched the Cairo Regional Internet Exchange (CRIX) at the ECC Data Center in Cairo. CRIX is a local and regional peering point to localize the Internet traffic for local ISPs as well as regional traffic for the Middle-East data carriers.
While CRIX is a leading joint venture project between National Telecom Corporation (NTC) of Egypt, and Flag Telecom - ECC is currently hosting, operating, maintaining and monitoring the exchange point in its data center.
CRIX operates a neutral Internet exchange enabling Middle-Eastern data carriers to exchange Internet traffic between themselves without having to pass through the United States or Europe. This allows the regional data carriers to reduce upstream capacity costs in a significant way by optimizing bilateral peering among them.
CRIX is also offering guaranteed network availability supported by Egypt's most advanced Internet connectivity set-ups in the region and are being connected using the Flag Europe-Asia and Flag Atlantic cables, and the SMW-3 cable to Europe. — (menareport.com)
© 2002 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Flag Telecom completes New Cairo Internet Exchange
- Etisalat signs agreement with FLAG Telecom
- Teleglobe and Saudi Telecom to create, service and market new Middle Eastern IP exchange
- Egyptian Internet provider signs capacity agreement with FLAG Telecom
- Jordan Telecom and Egypt’s TE Data sign partnership agreement at GITEX