Egypt: $1.8 billion recovered from Mubarak-era figures
Egypt has recovered around $1.8 billion in funds and lands corruptly appropriated by Mubarak-era figures, the state-run daily newspaper Al-Ahram reports on Sunday.
Investigations starting a month after Egypt's January 25 Revolution began in 2011 were fruitful and made it possible for Egypt to retrieve these funds last month, said Deputy General Attorney Adel El-Said on Saturday.
The governmental authorities are working now on banking up around $9 billion from specific persons working under the ousted president Mubarak’s umbrella who have been found guilty of corruption.
According to Egypt's newly-elected president, Mohamed Morsi, the recuperated funds will be deposited in a new account at the Central Bank no. 333/333.
Morsi encourages citizens and Egypt-based expatriates to support the Egyptian economy with financial donations through the same account.
In August, Egypt’s Ministry of Justice considered forming a committee to trace and recover Egyptian assets moved overseas by members of the old regime.
- Let's just say nshallah! Egypt's back in business, says new survey
- Why Emiratisation, or any other GCC employment nationalization strategy, just doesn't work
- No sun on MENA's economic horizon? How today's political turmoil is crushing region's future edge in the global economy
- Why Egypt's army is bad at doing business
- Saudi Arabia's mass deportations reveal the horrifying reality awaiting Yemenis sent home