Curbing energy use in Egypt? Yes, Cairo has a new app for that
The new app is designed to curb the frequency of blackouts expected during Egypt's summer months (File Archive)
Click here to add Egyptian Electric Utility and Consumer Protection Regulatory Agency as an alert
Disable alert for Egyptian Electric Utility ...,
Click here to add Hafez El Salmawi as an alert
Disable alert for Hafez El Salmawi,
Click here to add KNDSoft as an alert
Disable alert for KNDSoft,
Click here to add Mena as an alert
Disable alert for Mena
The Egyptian Electric Utility and Consumer Protection Regulatory Agency (EGYPTERA) has launched an initiative with Egyptian software company KNDSoft to create an internet application that should curb electricity consumption ahead of summer, which has come to be known as Egypt's blackout season.
According to Egypt's state news agency MENA, the app will be launched for household use and is aimed to raise awareness about times of high electricity loads and gives advice to consumers on how to reduce it in an attempt to decrease the frequency of blackouts.
The application will be available for Android, IOS and Windows mobile phone platforms, MENA reported.
Head of EGYPTERA, Hafez El Salmawi, told Ahram Online in 2013 that the government strategy is to reduce consumption to avoid blackouts, the reason why electricity prices were raised in 2013 for the first time since 2008.
Electricity consumption in Egypt has jumped by almost 30 percent during the last decade according to official data.
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- AUC’s Hepatitis C diagnostic test offers new option to curb Egyptian epidemic
- Egypt using price increase to cool energy use
- Egypt's Sisi craze goes to next level with "CC selfie" app
- Egypt raises electricity prices for households with high usage
- A Useful Timeline to Navigate Egypt's Sexual Harassment Minefield