Egypt's government cancels gold producers contract
Egypt has cancelled contract of the country's largest gold producer, citing "irregularities"
Egypt's largest gold producer Centamin PLC is being ordered to halt operations at the country's Sukari gold mine after an Egyptian administrative court cancelled its contract with the government.
Egypt's State Council said the Tuesday ruling was reached after the court decided there had been irregularities in the way Centamin had renewed its contract to exploit the country's largest gold mine.
The latest renewal was carried out by a government official, without passing through Egypt's lower house of Parliament as it customary, the Council said.
- Tourism is the real target of the Tunisia attacks: industry set to suffer
- FIFA scandal probe: No deaths in 2022 World Cup construction, Qatar says
- The UAE harnesses the power of celebrity endorsements
- Gazans reach beyond Israeli blockade through start-up
- France is playing a risky dating game in the Gulf: experts