Egypt's government cancels gold producers contract
Egypt has cancelled contract of the country's largest gold producer, citing "irregularities"
Egypt's largest gold producer Centamin PLC is being ordered to halt operations at the country's Sukari gold mine after an Egyptian administrative court cancelled its contract with the government.
Egypt's State Council said the Tuesday ruling was reached after the court decided there had been irregularities in the way Centamin had renewed its contract to exploit the country's largest gold mine.
The latest renewal was carried out by a government official, without passing through Egypt's lower house of Parliament as it customary, the Council said.
- Tunisian, Moroccan Chambers of Commerce meet to discuss economic partnership
- Winter wonderland: Dubai debuts Aspen Chalets with view of Ski Dubai
- Egyptian economic experts predict inflation rate will continue to climb
- Shoura Council: Expats cannot buy property in Mecca, Medina, Riyadh
- Tensions increase between Egypt, Italy over renewable energy projects