Egypt's government cancels gold producers contract
Egypt has cancelled contract of the country's largest gold producer, citing "irregularities"
Egypt's largest gold producer Centamin PLC is being ordered to halt operations at the country's Sukari gold mine after an Egyptian administrative court cancelled its contract with the government.
Egypt's State Council said the Tuesday ruling was reached after the court decided there had been irregularities in the way Centamin had renewed its contract to exploit the country's largest gold mine.
The latest renewal was carried out by a government official, without passing through Egypt's lower house of Parliament as it customary, the Council said.
- Egyptian stocks plummet as Yemen confict deepens
- Mission to Mars: UAE plans Arab region's first unmanned probe
- Supervising the stoners: Egyptian tobacco traders call for the legalization of cannabis
- Ethiopia launches $2.8m research survey for Nile basin development
- UAE sweetens flotation regulations to attract more investment