Egypt approves Qatari bid for SocGen
In a press statement reported on Thursday by state-run news agency MENA, QNB said it had begun legal measures with the Egyptian government to obtain Societe Generale's Egypt unit and expected to make a full acquisition within two months.
QNB presented its offer to acquire NSGB to Egypt's central bank on 19 December 2012.
The leading Qatari bank will pay almost $2 billion its stake.
News of the central bank's approval propelled NSGB's shares, with analysts expecting it to be Thursday's biggest gainer.
- Eyes on the Cityscape: Mongolia, out of all places, is set to woo Middle East investors
- The rise of dollar: aka the downfall of oil markets?
- You don't need to be Muslim to practice? Why Goldman Sachs' sukuk sales worked so swell this around
- Erdogan's ready to smear the banks: is Turkey about to face a financial crisis worse than that of 2001?
- An economic slowdown? The pros and cons of Israel's weakening shekel