Egypt approves Qatari bid for SocGen
In a press statement reported on Thursday by state-run news agency MENA, QNB said it had begun legal measures with the Egyptian government to obtain Societe Generale's Egypt unit and expected to make a full acquisition within two months.
QNB presented its offer to acquire NSGB to Egypt's central bank on 19 December 2012.
The leading Qatari bank will pay almost $2 billion its stake.
News of the central bank's approval propelled NSGB's shares, with analysts expecting it to be Thursday's biggest gainer.
- Giving up on the EU? Greece, Cyprus look to GCC investors
- Turkish whistleblower: government can hand over any bank to state fund
- Why Israelis are rushing to empty out their Swiss bank accounts
- Wealth in the land of Arab Spring: Egypt's top ten richest men in 2014
- Will the US dollar peg protect GCC currencies?