Egyptian minister heads to world's largest tourism convention in attempt to win back tourists
Minister of Tourism Hisham Zaazou is set to attend the ITB Berlin fair, one of the largest tourism trade fairs in the world, where the ministry will aim to “correct the image of the security situation in Egypt and encourage tourists to return”, according to ministry spokeswoman Rasha El-Azazzi.
The minister will also hold a press conference, to be attended by Jurgen Drensek, the honourary president of the German Association of Travel Journalists.
The fair, officially titled “Discover the Danube at ITB Berlin”, will kick off on 5 March and last for four days.
On 26 February, Germany’s foreign ministry strongly advised against travel to all regions of Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula. The ministry had previously warned against travel in northern Sinai, Taba and the Egyptian-Israeli border area.
The following day, German tour operators started bringing tourists back from Sharm El- Sheikh.
The minister will also review the ministry’s future projects in the tourism sector and the government’s efforts to address the sector’s current predicament.
Tourism rates have been improving on a monthly basis but declining year on year, by which metric arrivals fell 30.7%, according to the Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics.
Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy said Sunday in a speech at The American University in Cairo that encouraging trade and tourism is essential to boosting the Egyptian Economy .
- Tourism is the real target of the Tunisia attacks: industry set to suffer
- FIFA scandal probe: No deaths in 2022 World Cup construction, Qatar says
- The UAE harnesses the power of celebrity endorsements
- Gazans reach beyond Israeli blockade through start-up
- France is playing a risky dating game in the Gulf: experts
- Egypt shows off its sweet tooth as dessert goes super-sized in the desert
- Empty beds: Egyptian tourism sector ravaged by political unrest
- All politics? Egypt's "other" events that have shaken the country's economy in 2013
- Egypt and Germany aim to boost trade
- Arabian Travel Market To Be A Key Driver In Bahrain's Tourism Growth Strategy