No Youtube ban for Egypt - Telecoms authority
An Egyptian rights group and the nation's telecommunication's ministry have filed appeals to reverse a court order to block YouTube.
The ministry said this week it cannot block access to YouTube because of high technical costs, adding that it cannot legally monitor the content of social media websites.
The Association for Freedom of Thought and Expression in Egypt said Saturday that it also filed an appeal, calling the verdict "collective punishment."
YouTube has already blocked access to the film in Egypt because it broke local laws.
Past Egyptian verdicts banning websites deemed offensive were similarly not implemented.
- Egypt's YouTube ban causes criticism
- After the violence in Egypt and Libya, YouTube blocks access to film clip but refuses to remove it
- YouTube to allow users in Egypt and Saudi to monetize videos
- Local YouTube to kick-start advertising in the UAE
- 15 million video views for Al Aan TV channel on YouTube