Egyptian Electricity Authority installs $2.2 million metering system
ABB Electricity Metering recently announced that it has been awarded a $2.2 million contract by the Egyptian Electricity Authority (EEA), a subsidiary of the Egyptian Electricity Holding Company, to provide its AIN ALPHA meters, software and hand-held equipment to support the EEA’s Time of Day Metering Project.
The EEA is part of a utility network that provides electricity to Egypt, Jordan and other neighboring countries. The Time of Day Metering Project will be conducted in eight EEA regions for a year.
"By incorporating the ABB AIN meters, the EEA will be able to optimize its utility network in eight regions as well as reduce technical and non-technical energy losses," stated Ali Mouslmani, regional marketing manager, Middle East & Africa, for ABB Automation Inc., USA.
The AIN ALPHA, is an electronic fully-programmable polyphase energy meter that collects, processes and stores energy and demand data on either a time-of-use (TOU) or demand basis. The
ABB Electricity Metering of Raleigh, N.C., a division of ABB Automation, Inc. designs and develops advanced electrical meters as well as creates information technology (IT) solutions and infrastructure for meters and meter data management systems.
Based in Switzerland, ABB is a power and automation technologies provider. ABB serves customers in manufacturing, process and consumer industries, utilities, the oil and gas sector and infrastructure markets. ABB's US operations, headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut, employ over 16,000 people at manufacturing and other facilities in 40 states. Worldwide, ABB employs about 160,000 people in more than 100 countries and reported revenues of $25 billion in 1999.
Electricity generation and transmission is the responsibility of the Egyptian Electricity Authority (EEA), which reports to the Ministry of Electric Power. Egypt's current installed capacity is 16.6 GW, with plans to increase this capacity by 9.3 GW by 2010. 84 percent of Egypt's generating capacity is thermal, with the remaining 16 percent hydroelectric.
Distribution is carried out by seven regional organizations, which are affiliate companies of the holding company, Construction and Electric Power Distribution Company. In addition, some municipal councils buy in bulk from the EEA and distribute independently. The Egyptian government has plans to implement privatization programs in the electrical power industry. — (menareport.com)
© 2002 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Yemeni to get prepaid electricity meters
- World Bank funds Egypt railway, project underway
- Siemens secures power plant orders from Middle East totaling about EUR500 million
- Egyptian Electricity companies collect $885 million in government debts
- ABB wins $89 million order to power financial district in Saudi Arabia