Egypt's Social Housing Program offers 34,491 new housing units
The Egyptian government plans to build 200,000 housing units each year. (AFP/File)
Click here to add Alexandria as an alert
Disable alert for Alexandria,
Click here to add Cairo as an alert
Disable alert for Cairo,
Click here to add Darwish as an alert
Disable alert for Darwish,
Click here to add Ismailia as an alert
Disable alert for Ismailia,
Click here to add Mostafa Madbouly as an alert
Disable alert for Mostafa Madbouly,
Click here to add Port Said as an alert
Disable alert for Port Said,
Click here to add Salah Hassan as an alert
Disable alert for Salah Hassan,
Click here to add Suez as an alert
Disable alert for Suez
By the end of September 2015, 34,491 units in 23 governorates have been fully implemented amongst the Social Housing Program, Minister of Housing Mostafa Madbouly announced Saturday.
The units took place in the first and second phase of the program and will be delivered consecutively to the beneficiary citizens, who previously booked the units and finalised the delivery procedures, Madbouly said.
He emphasised that the units serve a large number of citizens living in governorates that suffer lack housing units’ such as Alexandria, Ismailia, and Port Said.
Two weeks ago, the units’ delivery started in the governorate of Beheira, he said and that it will continue for the rest of beneficiaries.
The units were implemented in accordance with the needs of each governorate, Hisham Darwish head of construction sector at the Ministry of Housing said.
He further elaborated the details of the number of units implemented in every governorate, including 2,472 units that were implemented in Cairo, 6,192 in Alexandria, 4,680 in Assiut, 3,000 units in Suez, and 2,484 units in Beheira.
Every unit consists of three rooms, a hall, one bathroom, and one kitchen and has an area of 90 sqm, Darwish added. The beneficiary will receive the unit fully finished and linked to all facilitations.
Darwish said that other units will be implemented with less space, around 63 sqm, formed of two rooms, a hall, one bathroom, and one kitchen. These units were the governor’s demand to provide units for low-income families.
In July, the Ministry of Housing issued 30,000 new residential units in nine cities as a part of the social housing program, which was the largest batch of units issued for the program’s applicants.
In May, the program’s head of the executive body Salah Hassan said the government is building 200,000 residential units annually as part of the program. He said the cost of the units does not exceed EGP 135,000.
By Rana Yehia
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- A very different "Borg Al-Arab": construction of government subsidized housing almost complete in Alexandria
- Oman: New agreement signed to build 50 housing units
- Forget the Arab Spring, is Egypt facing a real housing crisis?
- Orascom Housing Communities Brings Affordable Housing to Qena
- Today’s top graduate programs on spotlight at ALHOSN University’s Open House