ENI in Yemen
(MEBG) - ENI has been actve in Yemen since the 1970s. Its offshore areas, located in the Gulf of Aden, and other onshore areaswere relinquished in 1985. In 1990 ENI acquired a 40 percent participation in Block 3 (Gardan Area) located in South Yemen. In 1995 it acquired the remaining 60 percent and became the operator.
Oil & Gas Exploration
On December 1999, through its subsidiary Agip Yemen B.V., ENI signed a production sharing contract with the Yemeni Ministry of Petroleum, for the acquisition of the exploration rights in Block 2, Al-Maber. This block covers an area of about 3,700 square km and is located onshore in the oil basin of Shabwah, 400 km east of Sana'a and 150 km north of the Gulf of Aden. Exploration was to have started during the first half of 2000 with seismic surveys and geological studies.
In May 1999 ENI, through its affiliate Agip Exploration B.V., and Sonatrach, the Algerian national oil company, signed an agreement which envisages Sonatrach's participation for hydrocarbon exploration and production in this area. In September 1999 ENI, through its subsidiary Agip Yemen B.V., signed an agreement to transfer to Sonatrach a 40 percent interest in the Gardan Block 3 permit.
In the contracting services sector, Saipem, in joint venture with other contractors, carried out the construction of the 432 km oil pipeline system from Marib to Salif and related facilities and the Alif, Al Kamil and Al Raja facilities.
© 2000 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)