EU states - Egypt's leading export market
A report released by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Trade placed the countries of the European Union on the top of the list of importers of Egyptian goods.
The Arab markets rank second, then the Asian markets followed by North America, East Europe and finally Africa.
The report showed that Egypt's exports to the EU from January to July 2004 made up 33 percent of total Egyptian exports, putting the figure at $ 1.389 billion due to a rise of exports to the Italian and Spanish markets.
Meanwhile, the Egyptian exports to France went down by 10 percent hitting just $ 88 million.
According to the report, exports to the Arab markets made up 17 percent of total exports scoring $ 743 million with an increase valued at 34 percent against 2003 figures.
Exports to North America made up 7 percent of total exports posting $301 million with a drop of 19 percent against $371 million reached in the same period of 2003 as a result of a decline in exports to the U.S by 23 percent.
- Egypt’s textile industry on growth path after € 80 million EU funding; € 19.5 m being used for industry restructure
- IFC to support one of Egypt’s leading poultry companies
- Time for new trading partners? EU dethrones the US as world's top food exporter
- Twelve percent of Egypt’s exports directed at Arab markets
- Egypt, EU agreement comes into force