FAO and UAE work to support food security in the Arab world
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) have signed a Memorandum of Cooperation to strengthen the operation of national agricultural information center UAEAGRICENT, housed at the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries of the UAE and FAO will work together to bolster UAEAGRICENT to act as a national and regional resource for agricultural information management.
The online agricultural information center will provide up-to-date Arabic information on a wide variety of farming, fishing and forestry topics including animal genetics and breeding, plant science and production and natural resource management.
It is hoped that through sharing information the initiative will create and strengthen networks of trained experts and decision-makers to support food security among the Gulf States and neighboring Middle Eastern countries.
The five-year collaboration, beginning in January 2004, will intend to make the most of the country's strategic location along with the knowledge and expertise of FAO to achieve tangible development outcomes in agricultural information management. — (menareport.com)
© 2003 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Rabbit breeding raises incomes in Egypt
- UAE Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries steps up staff training
- Majeda Al Roumi Joins FAO’s Ambassadors
- UAE’s Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries deploys GIS to locate water resources
- Wasteful food habits cited by UN as among top reasons why 1.3 billion tons of food is wasted each year worldwide