Mid east carriers fly high on record performances this year
Middle East carriers were the strongest performers in the world in June with demand growth of 18.2 percent outstripping a capacity expansion of 13.4 percent, according to the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
Load factors for the region's airlines stood at 78.6 percent for the month.
In contrast to the global market, the growth trend in the Middle East has been robust throughout 2012, gaining a further 1.9 percent in June compared to May.
Middle East carriers also recorded strong growth in cargo with a 17.9 percent increase in demand against a 14.2 percent increase in capacity.
IATA said the region's airlines have been adding capacity to meet the need for moving goods between the Middle East and Africa and also toward Europe and Asia.
Globally, IATA said June showed a continued slowing of growth in the demand for air transport, in line with weakness in business and consumer confidence.
Year-on-year, demand for air travel in June expanded by 6.2 percent while capacity grew by a much more cautious 4.5 percent leaving load factors at 81 percent.
June air freight volumes recorded a 0.8 percent increase compared to the previous year. This brings seasonally adjusted June demand about 2.5 percent above the low reached in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- Reversing downward trend, Middle East carriers set record freight growth
- Middle East airlines operators see demand go sky high
- Emirates SkyCargo supports Philippine global export growth
- Pino Meroni Records Impressive 45 Percent Year on Year Growth
- Gulf Air takes F1 fever sky high - Gulf Air balloon to add colour to the sky during Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2006