The GCC's next big industry: Pearls?
Bahraini investors and gold traders have expressed willingness to set up a natural pearl trading bourse at the GCC level, headquartered in Bahrain.
This proposal was raised during the recent GCC Gold and Jewelry Consultative Meeting to protect the reputation of natural pearls in Bahrain and the Gulf after cultured pearls had become popular in foreign markets recently.
Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry's gold and pearl jewellery committee head Mohammed Sajid told our sister paper Akhbar Al Khaleej that such a move would help preserve Bahrain's leading position in the pearl industry.
It would also contribute to boosting investment in this sector to serve Bahrain's economy through increased exports.
- GCC eyes on fertilizers that combat nutrition deficiencies
- New reports tells us all there is to know about salary increases in the GCC
- Misrata: Libya's 'entrepreneurial phoenix'?
- 'Dreams for Sale': an inside look into the domestic worker life in Lebanon
- A thriving black market: the lucrative business of runaway maids