The GCC's next big industry: Pearls?
Bahraini investors and gold traders have expressed willingness to set up a natural pearl trading bourse at the GCC level, headquartered in Bahrain.
This proposal was raised during the recent GCC Gold and Jewelry Consultative Meeting to protect the reputation of natural pearls in Bahrain and the Gulf after cultured pearls had become popular in foreign markets recently.
Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry's gold and pearl jewellery committee head Mohammed Sajid told our sister paper Akhbar Al Khaleej that such a move would help preserve Bahrain's leading position in the pearl industry.
It would also contribute to boosting investment in this sector to serve Bahrain's economy through increased exports.
- Revealed: the top ten paid individuals in the UAE
- With 903 dead in six months, Turkey's job safety, or lack thereof, comes under fire again
- Bayt.com survey reveals the "Ramadan effect'" on the workplace
- Time for some basic labour rights? Why hiring Filipino housemaids just got almost impossible in the UAE
- Will Emirates' order cancellation mark a decisive blow to Airbus?