The GCC's next big industry: Pearls?
A GCC pearl market would boost investment and economic growth particularly in Bahrain (Shutterstock)
Bahraini investors and gold traders have expressed willingness to set up a natural pearl trading bourse at the GCC level, headquartered in Bahrain.
This proposal was raised during the recent GCC Gold and Jewelry Consultative Meeting to protect the reputation of natural pearls in Bahrain and the Gulf after cultured pearls had become popular in foreign markets recently.
Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry's gold and pearl jewellery committee head Mohammed Sajid told our sister paper Akhbar Al Khaleej that such a move would help preserve Bahrain's leading position in the pearl industry.
It would also contribute to boosting investment in this sector to serve Bahrain's economy through increased exports.
- US, EU protectionist policies may be a blessing in disguise for GCC suppliers
- Dubai to Doha: How far can you stretch your dirham?
- Tunisia 2020 investment conference: 145 mega projects on offer
- GCC tax on expats' income and remittances would be highly regressive: IMF
- 'The worst is over for Qatar's trade balance': BMI Research