The GCC's next big industry: Pearls?
Bahraini investors and gold traders have expressed willingness to set up a natural pearl trading bourse at the GCC level, headquartered in Bahrain.
This proposal was raised during the recent GCC Gold and Jewelry Consultative Meeting to protect the reputation of natural pearls in Bahrain and the Gulf after cultured pearls had become popular in foreign markets recently.
Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry's gold and pearl jewellery committee head Mohammed Sajid told our sister paper Akhbar Al Khaleej that such a move would help preserve Bahrain's leading position in the pearl industry.
It would also contribute to boosting investment in this sector to serve Bahrain's economy through increased exports.
- What will the effect of losing the World Cup be on Qatar? 'Very small' says study
- 'This is Lebanon': why water taps are drying out
- A two-way street: an inside look into the monumental losses brought to the US economy due to Iranian sanctions
- Reconsidering the fork and knife hegemony: how cultural intelligence can land you the job of your dreams
- Revealed: the top ten paid individuals in the UAE