Getting started on LinkedIn
Take advantage of the space to tell a story of about yourself. (Shutterstock/d8nn)
Linkedin is still a black hole for many professionals, but it doesn’t have to stay that way. This is why we are writing posts to simplify it for you! In this article, we will give you four tips for writing your Linkedin Summary.
Don’t forget to read my other article “8 Common Linkedin profile picture mistakes you should avoid”.
1. Never leave the Summary section blank. Your Linkedin summary is an introduction to your profile and a brief about you. Leaving it empty makes you look careless or ignorant of how Linkedin works. It will also mean that readers will go straight to your Experience section and skim through your list of jobs and projects which can be confusing and time-wasting. Use the opportunity to say things not in your other sections.
2. Tell a story. The best way to captivate your reader is by telling a story. Don’t just mention facts and numbers, tell a story about yourself to summarize your experience, skills and goals. Make it interesting and attention-grabbing by focusing on your accomplishments and future goals. This is your chance to connect with your readers as a person.
3. Take advantage of the 2,000 characters allowed. Use keywords to optimize your search results. True that you have used keywords in the rest of the sections, but take advantage of the space provided to reiterate and strengthen your position by listing more or repeated keywords. Doing this will make your chances of appearing in search results conducted by employers higher and better.
4. Include your contact information. Many forget to mention how they can be contacted by their readers; don’t be one of them and don’t leave it to the bottom of your Linkedin profile. Add your preferred way of communication in your Summary whether it’s your email or phone number.
By Shaden Abdulraman
- First impressions count: getting your LinkedIn photo right
- Emirates flies onwards and upwards on LinkedIn
- Aiming for originality? Avoid using the most popular buzzwords on LinkedIn
- The key to effective Social Media Relations in Contact Centers in the Middle East
- How to make the most of your profile on LinkedIn