Food glorious food! Foodies flock to Dubai's decadent food-fest
Some retailers in the UAE have tested their products to be sure their meals are clear
It's a tasty proposition for any food lover, as the region’s largest food industry event - Gulfood 2013 - prepares to show off more than 50,000 food and beverage brands and welcome scores of industry big wigs to Dubai this week.
The four-day event kicks off on Monday and as well as a mouth-watering range of specialities from around the world, it will also play host to a number of discussions on serious issues facing those whose business it is to meet rocketing global demand for key staples. Top executives from McDonald’s and Coca-Cola are among those who will tackle subjects ranging from food security to restaurant franchising at a Global Food Leaders Summit to be held on the event’s opening day.
Further conferences in food processing and packaging and food inspection suddenly look very topical given the current controversy in the United Kingdom and other European countries over the discovery of horse meat as a substitute for beef in a number of supermarket dishes.
Some retailers in the UAE have tested their products to be sure their meals are clear and so far there is no suggestion any contaminated products have made it to the country’s food supply chain.
From peanuts to ice cream and iced tea to roast beef, the halls of the Dubai World Trade Centre will be packed with international exhibitors looking to cook up some business - in the food import hub of a country predicted to bring in $5.5 billion of food a year by 2015.
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- Nip, tuck: Dubai's grand plans for being a major player in medical tourism
- Eleven month after bomb attack, Turkish Air resumes flights to Sharm El-Sheikh
- Saudi poised to become new leader in theme park industry
- Bahrain begins large overpass project near new building developments
- Lebanon says neigh! Importers pull 'beef' dishes off the shelves over European horse meat scandal
- 1001 Arabian dishes: Mideast countries and their glorious gastronomy
- Bringing in the tasty goods home: UAE among world's top food importers
- World Food Day: Egypt's staple food production growing
- Discovery Channel host to open Aveva World Summit 2015