Increased exports sought by Egypt’s textile sector
Egypt’s textile industries were recently called to implement the use of state-of-the-art technology so that exports could be increased.
These exports are a crucial part of the country’s economy, as they account for nearly one-fifth of overall exports to the UK and the US, according to Al-Sharq Al-Awasat daily.
Mustafa El-Refa'ai, Egypt’s Minister of Industry and Technological Development maintained the fact that major markets for Egyptian textile goods existed abroad, and that the sector should take advantage of the potentially lucrative situation.
El-Refa'ai stressed the fact that China was one of the most promising destinations for Egyptian textile imports.
Industrial textile demands of China stand at 1.7 million tons yearly, and are expected to reach 2.6 million tons within the next decade.
Currently, Egypt’s textile exports amount to approximately $800 million per annum. –(Mena Report)
© 2001 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- £281m Egypt\'s Textiles Exported to US
- Total exports of Bahrain in 2004 stood at BD2.83bn, an increase of 13.4% over 2003
- Egyptian textile exports reach EP 1.61 billion in first half of 2000
- Egypt's textile industry faces challenges
- Egypt’s textile industry on growth path after € 80 million EU funding; € 19.5 m being used for industry restructure