Iran ready to boost economic and trade ties with Germany
The director of the Trade Promotion Organization of Iran has expressed the Islamic Republic’s readiness to enhance economic and trade ties with Germany.
During a Monday meeting with a visiting German trade delegation, Valiollah Afkhami-Rad said Iran is ready to increase trade transactions with Germany to $7 billion annually.
The volume of trade exchanges between Iran and Germany reached $2.7 billion in 2013, he said.
Afkhami-Rad said that the policy of the current Iranian administration is geared to remove tensions in international relations, and hoped that Tehran’s new approach would lead to an increase in the volume of bilateral transactions between Tehran and Berlin.
Deputy Head of Chamber of Industry and Commerce for Munich and Upper Bavaria Stephanie Spinner-Konig, for her part, expressed the German private sector’s readiness to expand bilateral ties with Iran.
Recently, the Islamic Republic has received several trade delegations from different European countries following the easing of sanctions against the country in light of the implementation of an interim nuclear deal Tehran clinched with six world powers.
Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council - Russia, China, the US, France, Britain - plus Germany inked the nuclear accord in the Swiss city of Geneva on November 24, 2013. The two sides started implementing the agreement on January 20.
Under the Geneva deal, the six countries undertook to provide Iran with some sanctions relief in exchange for the Islamic Republic agreeing to limit certain aspects of its nuclear activities.
Following the implementation of the Geneva deal, a 116-strong French delegation made up of representatives from major multinational companies such as Total, Lafarge and Peugeot, traveled to Iran for commercial opportunities. Several other countries have also dispatched business delegations to Iran over the past months.
- A will with no way: Egypt's charitable spirit dampened with economic hardship
- OPEC exports largest share of petroleum to Asian and Pacific countries in 2013
- High demand for gold spurs trade across GCC
- Is trust the only missing ingredient from Egypt's economic reform recipe?
- Explain this, Mr. Erdogan: Israel-Turkey trade ties booming amidst Gaza crisis
- Ready for business: Germany to send economic delegation to Iran to explore bilateral economic ties
- German trade with Iran, Turkey expected to expand
- Iran issues trade data: Deficit over $20 billion, exchanges with USA drop
- German economy minister promotes trade with Iran
- Syria, Iran want to boost trade exchanges to $5 billion