Iraq selects Arab mobile providers to develop GSM network
The Iraqi Communications Ministry awarded GSM mobile phone licenses to three consortia; one led by Egypt’s Orascom Telecom (OT) and the others to groups led by Asia Cell and Atheer Tel. All three groups include Iraqi firms and the second two involve Kuwait's Wataniya Telecom and MTC.
OT will be involved in building Baghdad and central Iraq’s mobile network; MTC's consortium will establish the infrastructure in southern Iraq and Wataniya Telecom will be responsible for the north.
Iraq presents huge business prospects for telecom companies. With the telecom network in shambles, the only mobile communication currently available in Iraq is via satellite through Thuraya handsets.
In the next three years, Iraq's mobile phone subscribers are expected to increase to five million. A judicious selection of telecom infrastructure and cellular technology will therefore be crucial to the success of the project of putting Iraq back on the cellular map. — (menareport.com)
© 2003 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Selection of three GSM operators in Iraq paves way for world-class network
- Orascom selects Motorola as GSM supplier for Iraqi network
- Celtel Nigeria Selects Motorola for $50 million GSM Network Expansion Contract
- du invests AED 400 Million and selects Nokia Siemens Networks to upgrade its network
- Siemens Mobile to build GSM network in Iraq by year’s end