Israel: Number of poor families on the increase
Israel's National Insurance Institute (NII) 2003 poverty report on Tuesday indicated that there were 1.42 million poor in in 2003, an increase of 7.4%, or 105,000 people, compared to 2002. The Israeli poverty line equals a monthly per capita income of NIS 1,736 or less.
According to <i>Globes</i>, the 2003 poverty report said 22.4% of Israeli families were poor in 2003. The number of children living in poverty in 2003 amounted to 653,000, in 366,000 poor families.
- A toolbox without the tools? Spotlight on Jordan's poverty alleviation strategy
- 1.4 million poor pensioners in this Middle East country have something to smile about with new 50 percent increase policy
- Home prices in Israel makes making ends meet impossible for families
- Report: 24 percent of Israelis living under poverty line
- Muslims feel the Ramadan spirit as poor receive more charity this year