Israel orders five more homes to be destroyed in West Bank
The Israeli Civil Administration on Wednesday delivered five home demolition orders to the town of Jit in Qaliqliya. (AFP/File)
Click here to add Alon Cohen Lifschitz as an alert
Disable alert for Alon Cohen Lifschitz,
Click here to add Applied Research Institute of Jerusalem as an alert
Disable alert for Applied Research Institute ...,
Click here to add Israeli Civil Administration as an alert
Disable alert for Israeli Civil Administration,
Click here to add Iyad Hamdan Sakhen as an alert
Disable alert for Iyad Hamdan Sakhen,
Click here to add Jit as an alert
Disable alert for Jit,
Click here to add Majdi Lutfi Yamin as an alert
Disable alert for Majdi Lutfi Yamin,
Click here to add Malik Maher Yamin as an alert
Disable alert for Malik Maher Yamin,
Click here to add Muhammad Ahmad Yamin as an alert
Disable alert for Muhammad Ahmad Yamin
The Israeli Civil Administration on Wednesday delivered five home demolition orders to the town of Jit in eastern Qaliqliya claiming the buildings were built without the necessary permission.
Locals said that Israeli forces accompanied the Civil Administration officers into the town to deliver the notices.
Four of the five houses were identified as belonging to Majdi Lutfi Yamin, Iyad Hamdan Sakhen, Muhammad Ahmad Yamin and Malik Maher Yamin.
According to the Applied Research Institute of Jerusalem, Jit has been subjected to "numerous Israeli confiscations" for the construction of Israeli settlements and the Israeli separation wall, both considered illegal under international law.
Just 14 percent of the village of Jit is classified as Area B, while the remaining 86 percent is Area C, where building permits must be approved by the Israeli Civil Administration for construction to take place, under the 1993 Oslo Accords.
As a result of rarely-approved permits, Palestinian residents are often forced to build structures without permits, which are liable to be torn down later by Israeli forces.
Since the Oslo Accords were signed, Israel has issued more than 14,600 demolition orders, according to Israeli planning rights watchdog Bimkom.
Bimkom architect Alon Cohen Lifschitz estimates there are an average of two structures per order, meaning that over the past two decades, Israel has issued demolition notices for nearly 30,000 Palestinian-owned structures.
Since 1996, Israel has granted only a few hundred building permits for Palestinian structures. From 2000-2014, only 206 building permits were issued, Bimkom adds.
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?
- Israel Grants 5,000 Palestinians Permission to Stay in Palestinian Areas
- Israeli army destroys five-story building in West Bank
- Israeli forces destroy West Bank homes as US warns Israel over settlement policy
- Israeli forces destroy homes in Gaza Strip, arrest five Palestinians in West Bank
- Israel has plans to destroy 3,000 Palestinian homes