Israeli police stop protest at supermarket near Ramallah
Israeli police [on] Wednesday used force to disperse some 100 Palestinians and international activists who were protesting at the entrance of the Israeli supermarket chain, Rami Levi, outside a settlement north of Ramallah.
The protesters entered the market and walked up and down the aisles chanting for freedom and waving Palestinian flags, according to witnesses.
As activists exited the building, about 40 policemen and soldiers were waiting outside, they attacked the protesters and fired stun grenades at them, causing several injuries, two of which were taken by ambulance to hospital.
Four people, including Basim Tamimi, the head of the Popular Committee of Nabi Saleh, were beaten and arrested by Israeli police. Tamimi’s ribs were broken and several Palestinians were injured. Two international activists, one American and Polish, were also arrested.
Protesters called for the boycott of occupation and all its products, stressing that “as long as there is no justice to Palestinians, Israeli and settler daily life can’t continue on as normal.”
The protest was part of Popular Struggle Committees’ actions to protest the occupation and settlers terror against Palestinians.
Last week about 50 Palestinian activists blocked Road 443, which passes on West Bank land connecting Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. The road was blocked for about 30 minutes to Israeli and settler traffic.
- Tourism is the real target of the Tunisia attacks: industry set to suffer
- FIFA scandal probe: No deaths in 2022 World Cup construction, Qatar says
- The UAE harnesses the power of celebrity endorsements
- Gazans reach beyond Israeli blockade through start-up
- France is playing a risky dating game in the Gulf: experts
- Israeli police launches investigation after Palestinian teenager being beaten is caught on CCTV
- Swedish supermarkets back down on Israeli goods boycott
- Eight Israelis Wounded Near Ramallah; Masked Gunmen Kill Eight Palestinians Accused of Collaborating With Israel
- Israeli police swarm illegal settlements for demolition, arrest 50 protesters
- Israeli Policeman Wounds Arab Israeli Woman, Seven Others Indicted for Beating Ramallah Lynch Suspects