Israel population nears 6.5 million, settlements included
Israel and the Jewish settlements have a total population of 6,458,000 according to figures published Monday, September 17, by the National Statistics Center in Jerusalem.
The figures reveal the Israeli population is composed of 5,243,000 Jews (81.2 percent) and 1,215,000 Arabs (18.8 percent), a proportion unchanged in recent years, the center said.
Figures for the Jewish population include east Jerusalem, occupied and annexed by Israel in 1967, as well as settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. ― (AFP, Jerusalem)
© Agence France Presse 2001
© 2001 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Israel to build 800 settlement units near Bethlehem
- Report: West Bank settler population above 300,000
- Olmert vows to draw Israel's permanent borders, build in settlement near Jerusalem
- Right-wing Israeli politician aims to annex 65 percent of West Bank
- What is it like to be one of Israel's 1.4 million Arab citizens?