Italian operator for Libyan seaside resort
As part of Libya’s efforts to upgrade its tourism market, it was lately announced that Valtur, an Italian tour operator, had signed a contract to manage a new 145-hectare seaside tourism complex, which will be constructed at Villa Silin, 90 kilometers east of Tripoli.
According to the Libyan Tourism Investment and Promotion Board (TIPB), the Libyan government will issue tenders before the second half of the year for the construction of the new complex.
The first phase of the project, estimated to be worth $50 million, involves the construction of 400-600 bungalow-style chalets and the design and layout of a golf course. Additionally, a desalination plant will be built to supply the complex with water.
The Libyan government will finance 30 percent of the project’s costs, and the remaining 70 percent will be raised from bank loans.
Speaking at a press conference in Jerba, Tunisia, TIPB President Fathi Al-Musrati said that it is estimated that between two and three billion dollars in foreign investment are needed in the Libyan tourism sector over the coming half decade.
There currently are 5,000 beds in nine major hotels and a very small number of motels in the country, he stated, and more than 60,000 beds within five years. — (Albawaba-MEBG)
© 2001 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Italy first to sign on to Libyan tourism plan
- Italian foreign minister welcomes strong trade ties with Libya
- Libya resumes gas exports following clashes
- Eni: Contract Signed with Energia Gas S.p.A. for the Supply of 2 Billion Cubic Metres of Libyan Natural Gas Per Annum
- Take-over of Commercial Housing Bank Complex